Tuesday 24 September 2013

Evaluation

Evaluation of my Pleminary task –

I have now completed my Haydon magazine task – my actual magazine compared to the original design is quite different, I didn’t include all the sell-lines and images I originally thought I was going to and in the end made it a lot more simple than I originally planned to as I feel this look more professional and suitable to the target audience of teenagers at Haydon school. However I am happy with my final design as I followed the same layout and colour scheme I originally intended on.

Front cover
My front cover includes a main image of David holding a football with the background in St Mary’s hall, the reasoning behind this was as holding the football displayed that my magazine was about sport, him smiling in the photo empathises the fun and happiness he shares within the PE department at school which is what I wanted to achieve, I feel the image used was appropriate to my magazine as it conveyed what my magazine was about and gave the viewers an inside to how successful the PE department is. The colour scheme throughout of white with Haydon’s own blue worked well together as they complimented each other ensuring the magazine looked professional. I choose a simple font of Arial as it was bold and clear for the viewers to read. I included a variety of images to make it more interesting to look at rather than it being full of writing.

Sell lines
The sell lines I included suggested to the viewer what was inside the magazine which I believe was successful as they was able to know exactly what was inside so if they was interested about that topic they’d know, I complemented the images with a sell line to ensure they knew what I was trying to express through my photo. Haydon is full of teenagers who are all engaged to social media so I thought by displaying an element of social media on the front cover would attract the students into reading the magazine, this is a way of gaining more readers and providing the wants and needs of my audience creating a personal relationship with them as they feel understood. I varied the font colours/backgrounds on them to make it more interesting and to display the highlighted text was more important than the non-highlighted text.

Contents page
My contents page followed the same colour scheme as my front cover to give my magazine a professional and effective look. I included a 'welcome' section to make my readers feel like they are involved in something and not just reading any magazine. Carrying through the same colour scheme suggests I understand the ‘house style’ of my magazine and that I’ve kept it looking professional and avoided it looking tacky. I wrote the page numbers next to the description and title of each feature to allow the reader to skip to whichever feature interests them most. I included one main image on the contents page as I didn’t want to fill it up to much, I thought keeping it simple would look more professional as it’s only the contents page.

What would I do better?
Next time making a magazine id ensure I don’t use an iPhone to take the images as they came out quite fuzzy and didn’t look as professional as they would if I used a professional camera. I’d use a wider variety of images on the contents page and include more of the page numbers so that they didn’t have to flick through the magazine finding what they wanted. I would also add more text to the front cover as it doesn’t have much detail to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment