Tuesday 10 December 2013

Draft Question 2

My magazine represents the social group of teenagers, the music genre of ‘pop’ and ‘indie’ is most listened too by this social group which is the main reason for choosing it. My magazine is aimed at the social class ABC1, which is a very wide audience, however it means that it attracts mostly middle-class people who are interested in attending gigs and festivals and also love reading and getting involved with their favorite artists and bands. I have tried to attract this social class by the use of my model and her surroundings, props and costumes as I have been able to create a story of model through the representations I have created of her.

Within my music genre I have famous well known artists across the world with name titles such as Rihanna, Eminem, Ellie Golding and Arctic Monkeys the reasoning why I believe its so important to have a strong group of well known artists involved in your magazine as it widens your target audience range. If fans of these artists know they are being featured in your magazine it widens the likely hood of them investing into your magazine. The way you represent your artists through their appearance and facial expressions also help to represent the particular social – the make up my model Ella wears is a vibrant dark purple lip stick and red, these colors signify a classy yet unique person. The clothing in which you wear should also signify your audience as it tells a story about a person and the genre of music they listen too, the stereotype of what they wear gives an impression off about a person. For my music genre it would stereotype that you would wear typical ‘hipster’ clothing – in this my model wears clothes such as denim jackets, dresses with the collar showing over, funky bright colored jackets and a range of boots and trainers creating an ideal stereotype of the typical girl who listens to this type of music.

Facial expressions are also key, they help to tell a story about the character you’re writing about and also express their views in the faces they pull – my model Ella uses a variety of facial expressions to ensure keeping my magazine interesting and exciting – almost like not knowing what’s coming next. The use of looking away photos, to smiling, from looking up to Ella seeing her looking down on the camera to photos which are close ups where my model doesn’t even need to pose for the camera as her own facial expression tells its own story.  The mise en scene in magazines is so important if you want to represent your social class within the magazine – you cant put a 40 year old woman on a pop magazine dressed in baggy trousers and a vest and expect your social group of 18 year olds are going to be able to engage in the magazine. By using a Varity of clothing and facial expressions I have been able to reach out to a wider Varity of people. Rather than just using the same facial expressions repeatedly mixing them up has shown my magazine has more than one side to it rather than just being boring and plain.

Props used play a big role in appealing to my target audience, I want them to see through the use of props what type of magazine mine is. In the smaller images on my contents page and double page spread I have used props such as a microphone and a stall, this helps to create the whole music theme of magazine and suggest the genre being indie and pop and these use of props and generally found in this genre of music.

My front cover speaks for itself, an extreme close up of my model suggesting a unique and classy facial expression yet an unknown face wearing dark purple lipstick backed up with big hair and sophisticated make up helping to attract my target audience through the use of the bold photo.  It is important your readership feel like they have a relationship with the artist which is why using close ups help to do this – from a viewers perspective its almost like you’re seeing into their lives.  If my reader feels like they have a relationship with my artist then they can begin to use them as a role model which is the whole idea in which I want for my magazine – using less smiling facial expressions and more faces which look like they’re is a untold story behind will help create uncertainty between the artist and reader.

It is important to keep up a general house style throughout the magazine to ensure a professional look. Using colors of a turquoise blue black and white as these colors are the most associated with pop and indie music. I don’t want my magazine to be full of blacks and blue as I can feel the black comes across as a heavy and angry color that’s why adding white throughout the magazine shows the innocence to the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment